I have spent a couple of hours today getting various parts back on the engine. Most importantly I’ve refitted the piston and crankshaft. I have also put on the oil filler and fitted the splashguard back in the sump. Prior to starting work I used a vacuum cleaner to remove all the loose pieces of metal and detritus that had accumulated in the bottom of the engine block since I first cleaned it out with paraffin, many moons ago!
I had intended to use a piston ring compressor to drop the piston back down the bore, but as it turned out, I just squeezed the rings in gently whilst tapping the piston with a rubber mallet.
A paper gasket was put in place ready for the fitting of the crankshaft.
This was also the time to fit the splashguard before fitting the crankshaft
I also took this opportunity to fit both oil drain plugs and fill the crankcase with oil