So nearly a full four years after buying the engine and probably three and a bit years spent working on it, she is running at last! There are still one or two jobs left to do, and there are some teething troubles, but nothing major. The fuel tap on the bottom of the petrol tank appears to leak. It’s not the threaded parts into the fuel tank or fuel pipe, but it seems to leak from the actual fuel tap itself. I’m not sure what to do about that, other than to buy a new tap.
Consequently, getting her to run involves pouring some fuel directly into the float chamber, because I cannot chance fuel leaking out directly adjacent to a hot exhaust! This means she will only run for a few minutes, until the fuel in the float chamber has all gone. I will have to replace the fuel tap in order to fill the fuel tank and then I can run the D-type for an hour or so to see how she performs.
As for the magneto, the guy that was going to rewind the coil hadn’t even started it, despite having had it for three months! I decided to cut my losses and got him to send it back. I kept an eye on ebay for a couple of weeks and luckily I managed to get a working Lucas RS1 magneto for just over £50. This is what I have fitted in order to get her running. Sadly I missed the 75th anniversary by one day, but she ran again 75 years and one day after she was first delivered to her new owner on the 18th August 1942!