21/09/15. Crankcase Cleaning

What a weekend it has been. I have made a massive amount of progress with the restoration and the hardest parts are out of the way.

IMG_3806 (Medium)

The flywheel is off!

 

IMG_3809 (Medium)

Note the piece of wood wedged against the crankshaft web. This allowed me to twist and pull the flywheel off the shaft without it rotating.

 

Most significantly, the flywheel is at last off the crankshaft. With the gib key removed, it was rotating freely about the crankshaft, but I wedged a piece of wood against the crank web through the crankcase door. This allowed me to spin and move the flywheel up the shaft and liberate it from the engine.

This then allowed me to remove the 5 nuts holding the bearing housing to the crankcase and extract the crankshaft and bearing housing as one piece.

I could then slide the piston up the bore and extract it from the top. The piston and rings look in really good shape. I was considering replacing the piston rings, but as everything looks so good, I think I’ll save myself the £47. It does make me wonder if this engine has previously been restored or at least had an overhaul at some point in its life.

IMG_3813 (Medium)

The crankshaft bearing housing

 

IMG_3812 (Medium)

The piston & connecting rod

 

With an empty crankcase, I could get on with cleaning all the old oil and rust out. I washed out the innards of the engine with paraffin and an old toothbrush and a paintbrush.

IMG_3814 (Medium)

The insides of the crankcase cleaned…..

 

IMG_3818 (Medium)

….and from the other side

 

The next task was to clean out the accumulation of rust in the water jacket. With the engine stripped of all its components, it was now an easy job to turn it upside down and let gravity help with this job! I also used a large flat screwdriver to scrape away at the sides of the water jacket, to remove yet more flaky pieces of rust

IMG_3819 (Medium)

IMG_3820 (Medium)

 

Altogether I recovered around 2lbs of loose rust from the engine! The next job will be to clean up the crankcase with a rotary wire brush fitted to a drill and a sanding pad fitted to the grinder. Then it can have a coat of red oxide primer and two coats of mid Brunswick green. All that however, can wait until next weekend. I’m off for a well earned rest!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s