23/12/17. Christmas Crank Up!

For the final time this year I took the opportunity to get the Lister out and give it one last run in 2017, just in time for Christmas. You can watch the video on YouTube

I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a very happy new year!

I will be back with some new posts in 2018 as I have a few more jobs to do on the Lister. Who knows, I may even be looking for another engine!

19/08/17. Sparking into life!

IMG_6561 (Medium)

So nearly a full four years after buying the engine and probably three and a bit years spent working on it, she is running at last! There are still one or two jobs left to do, and there are some teething troubles, but nothing major. The fuel tap on the bottom of the petrol tank appears to leak. It’s not the threaded parts into the fuel tank or fuel pipe, but it seems to leak from the actual fuel tap itself. I’m not sure what to do about that, other than to buy a new tap. 

Consequently, getting her to run involves pouring some fuel directly into the float chamber, because I cannot chance fuel leaking out directly adjacent to a hot exhaust! This means she will only run for a few minutes, until the fuel in the float chamber has all gone. I will have to replace the fuel tap in order to fill the fuel tank and then I can run the D-type for an hour or so to see how she performs.

As for the magneto, the guy that was going to rewind the coil hadn’t even started it, despite having had it for three months! I decided to cut my losses and got him to send it back. I kept an eye on ebay for a couple of weeks and luckily I managed to get a working Lucas RS1 magneto for just over £50. This is what I have fitted in order to get her running. Sadly I missed the 75th anniversary by one day, but she ran again 75 years and one day after she was first delivered to her new owner on the 18th August 1942!

06/08/17. A very nearly finished engine!

Since my last post, I have fitted the petrol tank, the fuel tap and the pipe to the carburettor as well as fitting the magneto chain cover

IMG_6561 (Medium)

I am of course still waiting on the magneto, so as yet, there is no life in the engine.  There are still a few small cosmetic jobs to do, but I’m more or less ready to run. I hope that day will be soon!

IMG_6564 (Medium)

The fuel tap and pipe


IMG_6565 (Medium)

The magneto chain cover


IMG_6562 (Medium)

The carburettor and exhaust


IMG_6567 (Medium)

The all important Lister logo


IMG_6566 (Medium)

The (almost) finished restoration

As soon as she is running, I will make a video and post it on YouTube. I’ll put a link in from this blog, so you can have a look.






29/07/17. If the cap fits and tanks a lot.

I’m not sure if I’d already mentioned that the fuel filler cap for my Lister D was a jam jar lid. Yes, that’s right a jam jar lid! The tank has a wider automotive style (be it car or motorbike?) filler spout and one that fits a bayonet style cap. 

IMG_6550 (Medium)

IMG_6551 (Medium)

The home made fuel cap!


Presumably the original cap had been lost, because the jam jar lid (I’m assuming here it’s jam, it could be marmalade or pickled onions for all I know!), has had a thin strip of steel tack welded inside to secure it to the tank opening.

The D-types I’ve seen from a similar vintage have a screw on brass cap and fitting, which is smaller than the opening in my tank. Obviously this must be some kind of back yard repair job. Having said that, the tank (apart from the dents) is in very good condition and doesn’t look like a 75 year old fuel tank. I suspect it is a remanufactured part that has had a car style filler spout and cap fitted in the absence of an original.

Hence I hunted around for a spare, looking for something for a car or motorbike that would fit the wider opening and have a bayonet fitting. Yet again, good old ebay comes up trumps with a replica brass filler cap being sold as a replacement part for a Royal Enfield motorcycle. It came all the way from India (where motorcycles are still made under the Royal Enfield name), for £10 including postage.

It needs a bit of a polish up, but it will look a lot neater than a flimsy old jam jar lid! Having previously carried out some more filling of a dent in the fuel tank and given it another rub down and clean, it was time to apply some more of the good old Mid-Brunswick green paint. 

IMG_6548 (Medium)

The freshly painted fuel tank

Once the tank and the tank straps are dry, I can fit them to the engine and connect the fuel pipe from the tank to the carburettor. Once that’s done, I’m just then waiting on the magneto, before I can have a go at firing the engine up! The end is in sight, but there are still a few bits and pieces to do. 

It has taken me nearly three years to get to this point!

16/07/17. Weeting Steam Rally

On the weekend of 14th, 15th & 16th of July 2017 was the annual Weeting Steam Rally in Suffolk. This is a relatively local show to me and has grown over the years to be quite a significant event on the calendar of any vintage enthusiast. There is always a superb collection of Steam Traction engines, Tractors, Vintage cars and Trucks and of course Stationary Engines!

I took the opportunity to photograph as many as I could. Naturally I was particularly interested in the Lister D-types on show, but there were a lot of other fine looking engines that also drew my attention.

There was an interesting D-type powered cement mixer, that was running on the day. 

IMG_6546 (Medium)IMG_6547 (Medium)

As well as a few other examples…..